Who Are The Hospice of Baton Rouge Volunteers?
The Hospice of Baton Rouge Volunteers are mature, non-judgmental, caring individuals supportive of the hospice concept of care. They are willing to serve others and may do so once appropriately oriented and trained. Volunteers who are qualified to provide professional services must meet all standards associated with their specialty area.
What Do The Hospice of Baton Rouge Volunteers Do?
Volunteers have many responsibilities. Some of these include:
- Providing assistance in the office in accordance with designated assignments
- Providing assistance to patients and their families in accordance with designated assignments
- Providing care to patients’ pets through the Pet Peace of Mind Program
- Assisting at The Butterfly Wing® with clerical tasks or visiting patients
- Providing assistance at health fairs and fundraising events
- Becoming a Veteran to Veteran volunteer, visiting and acknowledging our veteran patients
What Does The Hospice of Baton Rouge Volunteer Training Cover?
Volunteers receive appropriate training that is facilitated by the Volunteer Coordinator, which includes the following:
- An Introduction to Hospice
- The Role of the Volunteer in Hospice (as part of the IDG and within the agency as a whole)
- Concepts of Death and Dying
- Communication Skills
- Care and Comfort Measures
- Diseases and Medical Conditions
- Psychosocial and Spiritual Issues Related to Death and Dying
- The Concept of the Hospice Family
- Stress Management
- Infection Control
- Patient Rights
- The Role of the Interdisciplinary Group (IDG)
- Additional supplemental training for volunteers working in specialized programs (i.e. Pet Peace of Mind® and We Honor Veterans®)
Volunteers are a necessary and integral part of our organization. Volunteers provide patient care and support services according to their experience and training. They must be in compliance with The Hospice of Baton Rouge policies and cooperate under the supervision of the Volunteer Coordinator.
Go to The Volunteer Corner
- to download a volunteer application
- to download other volunteer timesheets and progress note forms